Friday, August 1, 2008

dysentery vs. marathon training & MORE!...

... does not make a good running partner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysentery

jen and i picked up a "crappy" case of it down on our trip to zihutenejo, mexico, which ruined the last day of an otherwise perfect 4-day trip. it also cut a few days off my training schedule, but luckily i was up and running by the end of the week. it's a tricky thing trying to mainintain a running shedule through illness, but with only 2 months to train, i really can't afford to thorugh away entire weeks.

so! i've managed to increase my mileage from ~25- 34 in the span of a couple weeks- not recommended at all- i usually try to stick to the 10% per week rule, but with so little time before the race + the set back, i can't afford not to build the base. needless to say, my legs have been feeling quite fatigued, but life could be worse;)

i've also managed a couple of 10-mile "long" runs, in the past couple weeks, which will be drastically increasing over the next 6 weeks. here's the route i've been running, which fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you looks at it, involves quite a bit of hill work.



although considerably slower than my "prime", i managed to chop my time down from 1:21:15 to 1:18:04 [remember- it's chocked full of hills;)], which means my pace went from an uninspiring 8:08 to just 7:48- still far off the sub 7 min. mil pace from a couple years ago, but I'm really looking forward to getting back down there again and faster!


next up to contend with are a few more action-packed weekends, that will require quite a bit of reshuffling of the schedule, but nothing i can't handle.

... off for a run!


... patenaude

5 comments:

Justin Monast said...

I'm sure you'll regain your speed soon enough. Btw what Marathon are you planing to run?

akira3d said...

It's been a long time since you've updated your blog? How is your training going? What is your next marathon?

I'll be tackling my first (Maui Marathon) in just a couple of weeks...

Unknown said...

oops! it has been a while since the updates- just now checking back in.

01] i'm training for the nike woman's marathon [i suppose they'll make me shave my legs;)] in october, and plan on running the seattle marathon after that in november. then i'm lightly entertaining the idea of heading down to hunington beach in february for the pacific shoreline race, unless i can find something closer.

02] eric- kickass! glad to hear you've caught the bug- how did mauii go [i hear the heat is brutal]?

akira3d said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
akira3d said...

The stars aligned for a brutal first marathon. I blogged all I want to say about it here.

Joint issues have forced me to delay my second until 2009.

BTW, Justin is wondering why you would pick Surf City over the L.A. Marathon. They are both in February next year.